Multistate & International Cases
Skilled Illinois Family Law Attorneys
In terms of family law, cases involving multiple states or countries can be confusing and time-consuming. Navigating the laws of multiple jurisdictions can prove challenging. The skilled lawyers at Wakenight & Associates, P.C. have years of experience dealing with even the most complex cases.
From child custody disputes to adoptions, our Illinois family lawyers have built a reputation for knowledgeable representation and comprehensive service. We know the laws and know the best ways to build your case.
Restrictions & Limits on Complex Cases
In cases involving more than one petition being filed in more than one jurisdiction, it is best to be the first litigant to file and you should serve your opponent as soon as possible. This helps ensure you that have the best chance of creating and defending your case for whatever your situation.
Depending on your case, you can face a number of challenges. These include:
- Contrary to the above, litigants who come to Illinois from another state must sometimes wait before filing their case
- International conflicts between courts located in countries that are signatories to the Hague Convention are governed by that International Agreement
- Restrictions on international travel are stricter than ever and both parents must approve the international travel of a child
Furthermore, in custody cases, the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) defines the home state as the state where the child has lived for the last six months. The court in the home state has jurisdiction to decide custody issues.
Seek Professional Help with Your Case
Whether you are contemplating, initiating, or responding to a multi-state or international case you can call an Illinois family law attorney at Wakenight & Associates, P.C. Our firm offers free initial phone consultations to help you get started.
When you need help, call us:
- In Cook County: (708) 480-9651
- In DuPage, Kane, or Kendall Counties: (630) 528-0734
- In Will, Kankakee, Grundy, or South Cook Counties: (815) 458-5660