HOW TO CHOOSE A FAMILY LAW LAWYER
1. SELECT A FAMILY LAW AND DIVORCE LAW FIRM - First, you should select a law firm whose business it is to represent divorce and family law clients only. These law firms are only interested in people like you and cases like yours. They are not interested in taking any other type of case “to increase revenue”. They have a passion for divorce and family law. . . only.
In addition to their legal prowess, resulting from the daily practice of divorce and family law only, these law firms, unlike other firms, fully appreciate and understand the emotions, the relationships and the responsibilities that go along with representing clients involved in family disputes over money and children.
In this environment, the lawyers in the Family Law and Divorce Law Firms interact between themselves … every day … regarding all these issues and the nuances of divorce and family law legal concepts, strategies, Judges and maneuvers and as a result … by virtue of their exclusive practice and environment … are very good at their jobs.
The opposite of this, which you do not want, is the sole practitioner who does not enjoy the superior input and feedback of fellow divorce lawyers. The opposite of this is the lawyer or law firm that takes many types of cases “to increase revenue”.
The concept of “Jack of all Trades, Master of None” is known throughout the world. Different cultures have interpreted this concept as follows:
- Spain: He who embraces too much, has a weak grasp
- Chile: He is a Fringe Master
- Romania: He is good at everything and at nothing
- Japan: He that has many talents is no talent
- Italy: He who is expert of everything, master of none
- France: He who embraces too much, has a weak grasp
- China: He is equipped with knives all over, yet none is sharp
- Syria: He who does several trades, is incapable of managing any
2. SELECT A FAMILY LAW AND DIVORCE LAWYER – By selecting a Family Law and Divorce Law Firm you will guarantee yourself that you will be selecting a very good Family Law and Divorce Law Attorney … but there is more to consider.
Communications – You must select an attorney who listens to you and who you listen to. You must feel comfortable talking with your attorney.
Support Staff – The support staff of the lawyer you select must be courteous, friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. They will assist the lawyer in communicating with you and must be competent!
County – You must select an attorney who practices in the County where your case is located. Out of County attorneys are “outsiders” in Kane, DuPage, and Will Counties. Our Wakenight appear regularly in these counties. Smaller counties, like Kendall and Grundy, have fewer attorneys and an “expert” out of county family law attorney is accepted … if courteous, humble and polite.
Judge – The key to evaluating your Judge is to know what their “tendencies” are. Some favor mothers and wives. Some favor husbands and fathers. Some work too fast and are careless. Some are so full of themselves they do not listen. Some like female lawyers. Some like male lawyers. Some older Judges do not react well to the reversed gender roles and new family units that have become more commonplace which include stay-at-home dads, primary wage earning women, older couples, same sex couples, unmarried couples, mixed race couples, ethnic and minority couples, etc.
Some Judges need to be substituted. Each party has a one-time absolute right to substitute the Judge and your lawyer must know when the random reassignment to another Judge is the better option.
Call Wakenight & Associates P.C. today for a FREE CONSULTATION with such a lawyer!
3. SELECT AN AFFORDABLE LAWYER – The cost of attorneys described herein can vary wildly. Higher is not better, just more expensive. Some firms have retainers that exceed $4,000. Some firms charge more than $400 per hour. Some firms bill you in 15 minute increments, namely .25 so that one 5 minute phone call is billed as .25 x $400 = $100. At Wakenight & Associates, P.C. we bill in tenths of an hour, or 6 minute increments . . . $400 x .1 = $40 . . . and this is how some attorneys increase your bill.
4. SELECT AN ATTORNEY WITH THE PROPER INCENTIVE TO HELP YOU - Over the years there has developed a billing practice among certain Attorneys to add to the retainer contract an up charge for going to Court … which many clients blindly accept … without question ...
The Attorney, for example, may bill $275/hr for in office work and $300/hr for going to Court. . . . . . and this is how some attorneys increase your bill.
At The Divorce and Family Law Offices of Wakenight & Associates, P.C. there has never been … and never will be … an up charge for going to Court!
At Wakenight & Associates, P.C. we have no financial incentive to litigate and you … will not pay extra to litigate.
5. SELECT A GOOD LAWYER - Some lawyers actually advertise this amazing credential: My friends think that I’m great. They call this peer review. Joe gives Bob a good review. Bob gives Joe a good review ... friends helping friends … and because some clients think this is meaningful … all the friends make money.
Although some states allow attorneys to earn advanced credentials in the area of divorce and family law, Illinois does not. Mandatory continuing legal education has opened the door for this to develop in the future but for now there are no state certified divorce and family law attorneys in Illinois . . . Just law firms like The Divorce and Family Law Offices of Wakenight & Associates, P.C. who only represent divorce and family law clients, all day, every day . . . because it is our passion to help clients such as you!
Thank you for visiting dedicatedtofamlaw.com, the website for the Divorce and Family Law Offices of Wakenight & Associates, P.C.! If you have any divorce or family law questions, CALL TODAY for your FREE phone consultation with an attorney.